Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Lucky Day

I once read a children's book called "My Lucky Day."  A little pig knocks on a door and to his horror it is answered by a wolf who, upon seeing the little pig, says it is "My lucky day."   He takes the pig in to eat him.  The pig does manage to escape but not until his has had a warm bath to clean him, a large meal to fatten him up, and a massage to tenderize his meat.  The pig leaves refreshed and the wolf is left exhausted.  My question is, who's lucky day was it?  The final page of the book shows the pig checking off wolf from his list of animals that might want to eat him and saying that it was his "lucky day."  

I have reserved this blog for religious thoughts.  So what does a pig story have to do with religion?  

In my minds eye I see Satan standing in the Garden of Eden watching Adam and Eve and saying to himself, "This is my lucky day.  I can destroy God's plan."  Satan, not knowing the mind of God tempts Adam and Eve.  They do end up eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.  But who's lucky day was it?  Yes, Adam and Eve had to leave the Garden of Eden, yes, they became mortal, yes, they could no longer walk and talk with God.  

After the Fall, Eve said, "Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient."  (Moses 5:11)

Lehi also explained:
"And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the Garden of Eden.  And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created...

"And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.

"But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things.

"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."  (2 Nephi 2:22-25)

Who's lucky day was it?  Oh, it was OUR lucky day!  Yours and mine!  I am so grateful for the Fall as it has provided me the opportunity to become like my Father in Heaven.

Now one more question about Satan.  Where was Satan when the great plan of happiness was presented?  Was he self absorbed in his own attempt for power?  Was he too busy recruiting spirit children to follow him?  Where did he miss the fact that he was God's plan?

No comments: