Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Heirs of God

I wish I were a fast thinker. But I am not. Some time ago (6+ years) I was exercising with a lady. We would walk and talk about religion. She would ask questions about my religion and I would ask questions about her religion. I remember telling her that we believed that we could at some point after death become gods and goddesses like God our Father and Jesus Christ. "Oh no!" she said, "I could never believe that. The humanizes God and I could never put Him on the same level as us."

"So we will never become gods?"

"No, we could never become gods."

Well all these years later and now I have an answer.
Romans 8:16-17
"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together."

Does it not make sense that in this life we have little children and raise them up to become productive adults like we are? Don't we want the best for our children? Wouldn't we want them to become even better than we are? Doesn't it stand to reason that God would want us to be as productive as He is? He is perfect and I am not sure you could become better than perfect but it stands to reason that he would want us to become perfect like he is. He says we are His children and then heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ. What are we heirs of? Would we not be heirs of perfection and Godhood?
Matthew 5:48
"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
Why would Jesus tell us to be perfect if it is impossible to be perfect? Joint-heirs with Christ means on the same level.

Let me know your thoughts on the subject.

No comments: