Sunday, October 12, 2008

Still thinking about conference

Between the lesson that I will be teaching next Sunday and Conference this past week, I have been doing a lot of thinking about Prophets and Revelation.  I really wanted to know what the Prophet would have to say to us.  I wanted to know if I would be willing to follow the Prophet or stone him.  I know, I know that sounds pretty harsh.  I just wondered where I stood with the Lord.  Would I be willing to follow the words He gave to the prophet or would I want to ignore what the Lord had to say through His prophet.  I figured if I ignore the Prophet's counsel then I will be stoning him.  To tell the truth, I don't want to stone the prophet so I need to heed his counsel.  

As I listened to President Monson, I felt a stronger testimony that he is a prophet of God and that what he had to say was direct revelation from God.  I enjoyed what President Monson had to say about change.  We need to be ready for change.  Our would is in an uproar.  There will be  change in each of our lives rather we want it to happen or not.  As I think about the changes that have happened in my life, I feel like Jacob when he says our lives pass away as it were a dream.  It was just yesterday that Bryan was a baby.  Now he has babies of his own.  It was just a minute ago that I had six children around the house.  Now there is just David, Dad and me.  The house is so much quieter now.  When the grandchildren come and play in the backyard among the trees or out past the garden I get very melancholy.  Sometimes I think I spent too much time worrying about where the next meal or clothes were going to come from and not enough time enjoying the journey.  

President Monson told a story about a Vietnam war veteran named Brother Hess.  Brother Hess got to write home to his family.  He wrote: “These things are important: temple marriage, mission, college. Press on, set goals, write history, take pictures twice a year.”  I agree with him.  Those are the important things.

So my words to you are:  Enjoy the journey!  All too soon the journey is over and you will be alone.  I am thankful for the journey I have been on.  I love my children, their spouses, and my grandchildren.  My husband, my parents, my brothers, my sister, and my in-laws have been a great help to me in my life.  I have always been able to lean on them.  Thanks to all of you who are sharing this journey with me.  What would I have done without family?

No comments: